I am partway through reading One Day at the moment and there was a line in it that really struck a chord with me. I was sitting on the tube on the way back from handstand class thinking about how I'd picked up handstands so much faster then I had trapeze. I'd been a bit annoyed at myself because of this as flying trapeze was something I'd visualised myself being really good at. (There was literally no reasoning behind this at all, I just decided it one day...!) Anyway, I read this line in the book:
At her very, very lowest ebb she had taken a course in Circus Skills until it transpired that she had none. Trapeze was not the solution.
I saw this and smiled. Because, having had a horrible week on trapeze and a very successful evening of handstands, I realised that no; trapeze was not the solution. It's ok that I suck at trapeze, because I'm good at other things.
And then on Wednesday I had my trapeze class. And I didn't suck. I didn't miss a single trick, and it felt great. I looked like some kind of flailing amphibian when I tucked under the bar, but I did it. And now, despite only yesterday being genuinely convinced that it was just not my thing, I am now completely happy with the following:
Trapeze is the solution.
Over and out.
Oh my goodness Ren,the circus training sounds so cool! I'm glad that you're doing better at trapeze, I wish I had the courage to do something like that!
ReplyDeleteThanks! It's really not that bad- I'm sure you could do it if you had the chance!
Delete