I'm on study leave at the moment. It's the middle of exam season and the idea is that, if you don't have any exams for a few days, you can go home and study there. And yes the clue is in the name- you are supposed to actually study.
Being the creative child that I am, I came up with a whole list of things I could do that were productive enough to postpone revision for. One of these was to decorate the room I'll be staying in for 10 months next year. We're renting the house and can't stick anything up on the walls, so I decided the cupboard was going to be my best option. I laid out all my pin-board things on the floor and prepared for action!
 |
| Look at the lovely neat piles! |
Since the age of 11, every single room I've lived in has had a massive collage of photos and things somewhere within it. At my school, not doing your pin-board was practically a cardinal sin! In my bedroom at home, every wall I own is covered in photos, baby pictures, cinema tickets and anything else you could think of. Having the same in my room for next year was a no-brainer!
Despite years of training, I have yet to master the whole 'tidy up as you go along' thing. Needless to say, having covered only the following amount of cupboard...
 |
| Tiny bit of cupboard covered. |
This happened:
 |
| There go my neat piles... |
Despite the fact that I planned to only do half the cupboard in one session, my inner boarding school girl came out, and I couldn't stop myself. I did, however, manage to pause for a photo of the half done cupboards:
 |
| The top half of my cupboard collage. |
As I said, I couldn't stop myself. I'd gone into full-blown pin-board mode, holding up various items and deciding that there was too much red in one area, or that there were too many paper items, or something just didn't suit being next to something else... I went about sticking things on this cupboard with the same insanity I tackled my room every term in school! Eventually, I finished the 'base' and was left with this:
 |
| The base. |
This is the part where you might think I'm a little mad. You see all the little tiny bits of cupboard showing? Well I do, and I don't want to! Over the years I have collected a variety of different sized items to fill these different sized holes. I then obsessively matched each item to a piece of wood to produce the picture below:
 |
| The finished product! |
Can you see any difference between the two? Do let me know if you can- I'd like to try and convince myself that I'm not completely insane!
Anyway, this was my 'productive' afternoon. I may need to do a bit more revision tomorrow to make up for lost time...!
Over and out.
There is definitely a difference between the two! I am so jealous of your decorating skills! If only my pin board at home looked this nice! ;) Would you ever consider making a tutorial on how you make it so nicely?
ReplyDeleteWell I'm glad I'm not completely mad! Thank you so much :) And that's a good idea- I will work on a tutorial in the coming weeks (although you may actually think me insane when you read it!)
Delete