This is something that was recently brought
to my attention when a friend described my Twitter summary (the same one I use
everywhere on the internet) as ‘indie’. A couple of years ago, I wouldn’t have
minded a dot. I probably wouldn’t even have known what she meant! It’s only
since people have started to use ‘indie’ to describe the huge volumes of youth
actively trying to be different, that makes me think that being ‘indie’ isn’t
such a good thing.
What I find most confusing about the whole
concept is that the word is meant to describe someone who is different to most
people. With so many people determined to achieve this status, indie has lost
its meaning. It’s become the new normal for practically every teen I know!
It’s a bit of a contradiction that indie
has become so mainstream, which is largely why I don’t like it. I’m different,
but I’m not trying to be. Can you imagine how huge a waste of time it would be
if I blogged and juggled and unicycled to stand out from my friends and didn’t
simply do them for enjoyment?
I think it’s good to be different, but it’s
better to be you. If you are the lunatic in your group who thought learning to
slackline on a dodgy ankle was a brilliant idea, then great! But if you’re the
one who’s happy to just read, surf the net and go out, then that’s just as
great. In my humble opinion, it’s best to be you, even if you’re just like your
friends. So be yourself, because that’s all you need to be.
Over and out.
Lovely post :) Though I don't know what "slackline on a dodgy ankle" means ;)
ReplyDeleteThanks! A slackline is like a tightrope, but it's a strip of material a couple of centimetres wide and isn't as tight. It's not great for bad ankles because of the tension you have to counter from the line to balance well and lots of other technical rubbish that I don't really understand! It's a lot of fun- you should try it if you get the chance!
DeletePS: The deleted comment was this, but I forgot to reply...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWow I really like this post! It's very interesting and VERY true. Keep on posting!!!
ReplyDelete